Saturday, January 1, 2011

Past New Year's

I was talking to my wife of some of the past New Year's that I remember. They may not seem like much because they were mostly sedentary--no physical action here. For some years we would spend time in Logan with my in-laws and my father-in-law and I would watch football games. Usually we would bounce from one game to another in the morning, but the Rose Bowl was always a must game along with the Orange Bowl. Dick Enberg and Merlin Olsen did the play by play in the Arroyo Seco, called the Daddy of Them All as it was known; The Rose Bowl. USC played often and the Big Ten teams were usually Ohio State or Michigan, but not always. The Orange Bowl was the last game and it was late at night in Miami by the time it finished. The Big Eight conference representative was usually Nebraska or Oklahoma and they were usually fast paced and high scoring games. Don Criqui and Bob Trumpy did the play by play. Each broadcast team had their own style. My father-in-law and I would "veg out" on his bed from 11:00 AM to 10:30 PM, barely leaving our hibernaculum for sustenance--usually brought in by my accommodating and doting mother-in-law. They are both gone now and New Year's day is different. Most of the games are on ESPN, I don't have cable and I feel guilty if I lay around watching football. Ah, to be young again.

No comments:

Post a Comment