Monday, February 21, 2011

Washington's Birthday

I have never really liked President's Day. I mean, there are a lot of Presidents that don't deserve to really have a day to be honored. I think it was President Nixon who declared the President's Day Holiday and there are a lot of things he did I don't want to remember and that doesn't include Watergate. Woodrow Wilson is another; there are others but I will stop there.

George Washington the Father of Our Country is special; incredibly unique and probably had more character, honestly and respect from his fellow men than anyone else who has served and he was the First President. It was George Washington that said the President should be addressed as Mr. President--simple,direct and not majestic in anyway. I think Henry "Light Horse Harry" Lee said it best in 1799:
"First in war, first in peace, and first in the hearts of his countrymen, he was second to none in the humble and endearing scenes of private life. Pious, just, humane, temperate and sincere; uniform, dignified and commanding, his example was as edifying to all around him, as were the effects of that example lasting. To his equals he was condescending, to his inferiors kind, and to the dear object of his affections exemplarily tender. Correct throughout, vice shuddered in his presence, and virtue always felt his fostering hand. The purity of his private character gave effulgence to his public virtues."

Now, there have been some Presidents in my life time that I have personally felt were above the ordinary, but none I could describe like the above. February 22nd is George Washington's Birthday. Lest we forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment