Thursday, July 14, 2011

NY's JFK Just Sucks

I plan on more regular posting in the next couple of weeks. We just returned from a trip to England. I'll have more to say about that in a couple of days. I have to talk about JFK Airport and the Immigration mess that I experienced there.

Our plane landed and they pulled us to the gate but we were told that we could not get off the plane because Immigration services were too busy. When we finally disembarked the plane we headed to clear Customs and we were shepherded down a hall behind some ropes. There appeared to be 3 or 4 other flights crammed into the hall. Our connection was about 90 minutes away from taking off to Salt Lake. We were handed a little card that said Quick Connect. Evidently we were supposed to kind of jump to the front of the line. After standing in the herd for 10 minutes I went back up to the shepherd girl and showed it to her. She said that we should go right in to a special line.

We headed in and followed the special line to a dead end. Asked by some Immigration worker why we were there we told him we were Quick Connect. Evidently we weren't supposed to be there. They sent us in a different line and we eventually made it so we had a shot of getting through. Looking around I saw a line of US citizens that had about 3-4 hundred people in it. I wondered why it took so long to clear US citizens through.

My thought process led me to think that Customs and the airlines could work together so Customs could have some idea as to how many people were coming in. Most of the Custom booths were empty, there was not enough man power there to do the job. And planes just kept coming and unloading more people. I suppose it could be shrugged off as Government in Action, but I think we deserve a little better than that. My advice is avoid JFK at all costs, especially on a weekend. Talking to some friends Miami seems to be much better at getting people through and my experience at Houston has been really positive.

Don't get me started on TSA.

No comments:

Post a Comment