Sunday, November 21, 2010

So Many Books, So Little Time Part 2

I posted 5 books in my previous post, that I think are important right now. I now follow with 5 more that I think are also important for a well rounded person. I realize that my list would be different than anyone else's but I was asked, so here it goes.

  • You have to read some Jane Austen. My preferred is Pride and Prejudice with Sense and Sensibility in close second. Some may argue for some of her other works, but I am in love with Elizabeth Bennett
  • Shakespeare. Hamlet, Macbeth or Romeo and Juliet, Julius Caesar maybe Much Ado About Nothing. One has to become immersed in something from the Bard.
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain. We could argue all day about Tom Sawyer versus Huck Finn. I would pick Sawyer every time. The story line is better, Becky Thatcher is cute, Tom is a typical boy. It is funner. Finn is more confusing and what is the Dauphin stuff? It just doesn't flow for me. It is more PC I suppose because it emphasizes Jim more, but Tom Sawyer is a better book.
  • This may not be well received but Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry. It is a Pulitzer Prize winner, a great story and I wish I was Gus McRae.
  • Last of the list is one that few have read, it will never go nationally, never be on a best sellers list but it describes how we should live one amongst another in one volume. Approaching Zion by Hugh W. Nibley. It is a text on behavior in life and if society could live and understand it, it would be a better place.
An afterthought would be 10 Books that Screwed up the World and 5 Others That Didn't Help by Benjamin Wiker. One could at least look at the table of contents and see what those books are.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting. I appreciate you humoring me with compiling your list!

    ReplyDelete