Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Who Got Da Junk?

Well, 'junk' has become a big- pardon the pun- this week. Safe flying; well that's a good idea. But what does it mean to be safe and who is safe? For instance, I can guarantee everyone in the world that no matter how many times I get on a plane they will be safe with me on it. I could be carrying my .45 or my Glock 19 or my machete or my knife, and everyone in the plane will be safe from me. I guaran-dang-tee-it.

If the people who know me were to all sign an affidavit and attest to my trustworthiness, to my love of country and people, it still wouldn't matter, I am a perspective terrorist in the eyes of TSA. So, I wonder why we cannot have some kind of card, or something with a bar code that we could show the TSA people and they could let us saunter on through? Maybe we would have to go through a government clearance via local and state law enforcement. For example, I am English-Swedish descent. I own a business, I am involved in community affairs and professional organizations--what are the odds that someone like me is going to take down a plane? Zero.

Now one might say this is a type of profiling, yes it is and we ought to be doing it. I know there are people that look or appear like these guys that have been trying to do harm on planes. Well, these folks may still have to still be screened, but just think how short the lines would be if most all of us that would never do anything could get credentials to just let us through. The folks being profiled are no worse off than they are now, they still have to get screened. But the lines would be a lot shorter and it would be less of a hassle for them too.

Some say that is not fair. Well, I don't think it is fair that I have to be hassled along with millions of other people who I can just look at and know that they are not a threat. That doesn't seem fair to me. I think it is ludicrous to be patted down, felt up and all but humiliated to be able to fly. And if we see someone acting weird or looking like they want to do some mischief on a plane, well we passengers can take care of the guy.

And what if I want to carry a gallon of liquid or gel on the plane. IT IS NOT GOING TO BLOW UP! How about a can of hairspray in my wife's carry on? The plane will be safe, she can't hardly kill a bug let alone do anything to a human. And these grandmas and grandpas and little kids--they won't do anything--none of this makes sense unless it is evaluated through the lenses of political correctness and multiculturalism. We can do better and we have to do better or the airlines are going to start feeling it even more than before. Just a collection of thoughts, that's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment