Saturday, February 27, 2010

Hard to Believe--Spring Training is Near



Here in the valley of the Great Salt Lake it is a rather balmy morning. The sun is out, the temperature is sort of mild. I wonder if I shouldn't go hit some golf balls or something. But, I also know that March is near and the catchers and pitchers will be getting together soon, Spring Training is around the corner. Baseball is a nostalgic game for me. It has never been the same since 1980 though. My card of the day is Yogi. When I think back to my early youth the nostalgia of baseball always included the fact that there was a Yogi. He was born in 1925 and played through the great days of the Yanks. I always thought his character was apparent when he stuck to his convictions and not be involved with the team anymore because of the actions of the owner. Right or wrong they were his convictions. He played with that same conviction and exuberance. Joe Gariagiola was his friend, and in my view, one of my favorite color commentators for baseball. So here's to Hall of Famer Lawrence "Yogi" Berra.

No comments:

Post a Comment