Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Shopping Cart Syndrome

One wonders what is going on out there? It is not a pretty sight in the financial markets and the business sector. Who is going to take care of things? Is it something we expect government to do or does it come back to being an individual quest for most people? I don’t know. The other evening I was at a retail big box store with my wife. I noticed something. I have noticed it before and I call it the “Shopping Cart Syndrome”.

People just leave their shopping carts sitting in the parking spaces and expect somebody else to take care of it for them. I don’t understand that. Do these people have the capacity to perform basic personal hygiene tasks? I don’t know. How tough is it to walk 30 or 40 feet and put a shopping cart where it should go? I do it all the time.

Maybe this is a reflection of our society as a whole. Most people take care of their shopping carts but enough people don’t that it creates a problem, they are in the way and it is kind of a hassle to clean them all up.

It seems to me that this syndrome is kind of like the economic mess. People expect everybody else to take care of their incapacity to handle a mortgage, or a loan. The vast majority of people are taking care of their financial carts, but a small minority have abandoned their carts for someone else to deal with. This is more than a hassle though, it is going to be one of the identifying periods of time of the 21st century. I sure hope we can get all the carts rounded up and put where they should be and get the world back to a small semblance of predictability.

No comments:

Post a Comment